Matthew Thomas is self-taught photographer and a qualified ecologist. He specialises in plant and garden photography and can regularly be found walking the hills of his native Sussex.
For Matthew, photography is first and foremost a time to relax and enjoy life but he has been fortunate enough to do quite well in several photographic awards. These include the BBC Countryfile photo competition and the International Garden Photographer of the Year. His photographs regularly appear in magazines and books worldwide, including features in 'Sussex Life' and 'Country Life'.
Some of my favourite garden images. Occasionally these feature their owners too!
Some evening wild flower photographs, made in a meadow adjacent to my cottage.
1. Primrose (Primula vulgaris)
2. Greater Stitchwort (Rabelera holostea)
3. Red Campion (Silene dioica)
4. Common Fleabane (Pulicaria dysenterica)
5. Cuckoo Flower (Cardamine pratensis)
I am photographing one hundred of the largest and oldest trees in Sussex through the four seasons. These photographs will be eventually published in a photobook, although it's taking a while to find them all!
Fine art prints of many of this images are available for purchase.
I am very grateful to the Woodland Trust for the use of their Ancient Tree Inventory and to the many private landowners who have granted permission for me to photograph these trees.
The policy sets out the different areas where user privacy is concerned and outlines the obligations & requirements of the users, the website and website owners. Furthermore the way this website processes, stores and protects user data and information will also be detailed within this policy.
This website and its owner take a proactive approach to user privacy and ensure the necessary steps are taken to protect the privacy of its users throughout their visiting experience. This website complies to all UK national laws and requirements for user privacy.
Cookies are small files saved to the user’s computers hard drive that track, save and store information about the user’s interactions and usage of the website. This allows the website, through its server to provide the users with a tailored experience within this website.
Users are advised that if they wish to deny the use and saving of cookies from this website on to their computers hard drive they should take necessary steps within their web browsers security settings to block all cookies from this website and its external serving vendors.
Contact & Communication
Users contacting this website and/or its owners do so at their own discretion and provide any such personal details requested at their own risk. Your personal information is kept private and stored securely until a time it is no longer required or has no use, as detailed in the Data Protection Act 1998. Every effort has been made to ensure a safe and secure form to email submission process but advise users using such form to email processes that they do so at their own risk.
This website and its owners use any information submitted to provide you with further information about the products / services they offer or to assist you in answering any questions or queries you may have submitted. This includes using your details to subscribe you to any email newsletter program the website operates but only if this was made clear to you and your express permission was granted when submitting any form to email process. Or whereby you the consumer have previously purchased from or enquired about purchasing from the company a product or service that the email newsletter relates to. This is by no means an entire list of your user rights in regard to receiving email marketing material. Your details are not passed on to any third parties.
This website operates an email newsletter program, used to inform subscribers about products and services supplied by this website. Users can subscribe through an online automated process should they wish to do so but do so at their own discretion. Some subscriptions may be manually processed through prior written agreement with the user.
Subscriptions are taken in compliance with UK Spam Laws detailed in the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003. All personal details relating to subscriptions are held securely and in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. No personal details are passed on to third parties nor shared with companies / people outside of the company that operates this website. Under the Data Protection Act 1998 you may request a copy of personal information held about you by this website’s email newsletter program. A small fee will be payable. If you would like a copy of the information held on you please write to the business address at the bottom of this policy.
Email marketing campaigns published by this website or its owners may contain tracking facilities within the actual email. Subscriber activity is tracked and stored in a database for future analysis and evaluation. Such tracked activity may include; the opening of emails, forwarding of emails, the clicking of links within the email content, times, dates and frequency of activity (this is by no far a comprehensive list). This information is used to refine future email campaigns and supply the user with more relevant content based around their activity.
In compliance with UK Spam Laws and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations 2003 subscribers are given the opportunity to un-subscribe at any time through an automated system. This process is detailed at the footer of each email campaign. If an automated un-subscription system is unavailable clear instructions on how to un-subscribe will by detailed instead.
Although this website only looks to include quality, safe and relevant external links, users are advised adopt a policy of caution before clicking any external web links mentioned throughout this website.
The owners of this website cannot guarantee or verify the contents of any externally linked website despite their best efforts. Users should therefore note they click on external links at their own risk and this website and its owners cannot be held liable for any damages or implications caused by visiting any external links mentioned.
Social Media Platforms
Communication, engagement and actions taken through external social media platforms that this website and its owners participate on are custom to the terms and conditions as well as the privacy policies held with each social media platform respectively.
Users are advised to use social media platforms wisely and communicate / engage upon them with due care and caution in regard to their own privacy and personal details. This website nor its owners will ever ask for personal or sensitive information through social media platforms and encourage users wishing to discuss sensitive details to contact them through primary communication channels such as by telephone or email.
This website may use social sharing buttons which help share web content directly from web pages to the social media platform in question. Users are advised before using such social sharing buttons that they do so at their own discretion and note that the social media platform may track and save your request to share a web page respectively through your social media platform account.
Shortened Links in Social Media
This website and its owners through their social media platform accounts may share web links to relevant web pages. By default some social media platforms shorten lengthy URLs (web addresses).
Users are advised to take caution and good judgement before clicking any shortened urls published on social media platforms by this website and its owners. Despite the best efforts to ensure only genuine urls are published many social media platforms are prone to spam and hacking and therefore this website and its owners cannot be held liable for any damages or implications caused by visiting any shortened links.
Website ownership information:
Matthew J. Thomas
+44 (0) 7763206030
Terms and Conditions for the Reproduction of Images
“We and/or “Us” means Matthew J. Thomas, www.ThePhytographer.com “You” means the person using this website.
You will be deemed to have accepted these terms and conditions unless you notify us to the contrary.
No variation of these terms or conditions shall be effective unless agreed in writing.
“Image” means any digital image presented on this website.
Licence for Use of Images
1) The reproduction by whatever means of the whole or any part of any Image (including, without limitation, slide projection, artist’s reference, artist’s illustration, layout or presentation of Images) is strictly forbidden without our specific written permission. You must inform us of your proposals as to when and how an Image is intended to be used. We will then consider whether we would wish to grant a licence and, if so, on what terms.
2) No reproduction rights are granted by virtue of delivery of Images unless expressly indicated. Your right to reproduce an Image arises only if (a) licence terms are agreed and (b) our invoice relating to the grant of such right is fully paid. Any reproduction before payment of the invoice or outside the terms of any licence constitutes an infringement of copyright and also a breach of this Agreement entitling us to rescind and claim damages. You must indemnify us in respect of any claims, damages, costs or expenses we incur arising from any reproduction of any Image supplied to you.
3) You must satisfy yourself that all necessary rights, model releases or consents which may be required for reproduction are obtained and that the use of any image is not obscene, indecent, libellous or unlawful. We make no claim or warranty with regard to your use of content, names, text, people, trademarks or copyright material depicted in any Image and you will indemnify us in respect of any claims, damages, costs or expenses we incur arising from the use of any Image supplied to you.
4) Reproduction rights (if granted), unless otherwise agreed in writing are:
a) subject to these terms and conditions and any terms and conditions set out in the delivery note and licence,
b) non-exclusive reproduction rights for single use only in the United Kingdom.
c) A single use means a reproduction in one size for one edition of a single publication, published in one language only.
d) The licence is strictly limited to the use, period of time and territory stated in the licence, personal to you and not assignable by you to any third party.
5) An agreement with such third party to ensure that they are bound by licence terms restricting printing, copying, networking, multiple access or other use of the Images to personal use only, forbidding the assignment, resale, rental and lending of the Image and ensuring that credit is given to us and the author.
6) You must credit us as specified by us every time an Image is used. If you fail to credit the Image an additional 50% of the original licence fee will be payable.
7) Images shall not be altered or manipulated, added to, or have any part deleted without our prior written consent.
8) You must provide us on publication with at least one complimentary copy of any publication in which the reproduction of the Image appears.
Digital Use of Images
9) You acknowledge that Images are our valuable property, as are any digital images created from the Images (" Digital Images").
10) You may not create, store or transmit Digital Images without our permission except so far as is incidentally and wholly necessary to the process of producing items licensed by us. If permission is granted the following conditions apply:
11) Each Digital Image created by you shall be recorded and labelled with the Image reference number used by us and our copyright credit information as an integral part of the image file, and held on an electronic database under your sole possession and control.
12) Unless otherwise agreed, any Digital Image you create must not be greater in size than 640x480 pixels, 72ppi. Any use of the Digital Images shall be in a format designed so that it will not be possible to alter, manipulate or adapt any Digital Image in any way during the normal course of using the product.
13) You agree to destroy all Digital Images including any pre-press or pre-production copies of the Images and any copies or records of the Images held on a database within 90 days of the date of receipt of the Images or completion of the maximum production run, or expiry of the licence term, whichever is later.
14) While we take reasonable care in the performance of this agreement, we shall not be liable for any loss or damage suffered by you or by any third party arising from use or reproduction of any Image or its caption. Damages for any other breach shall be limited to the licence fee paid by you.
15) You must pay our invoice within 30 days of issue.
16) If you do not pay in accordance with these terms then we may at our option rescind this Agreement and recover damages, or charge interest at the rate prescribed by the Late Payment of Commercial Debts (Interest) Act 1998 from the date payment was due until payment is made.
17) Any licence granted will terminate immediately if you (a) die, (b) enter into voluntary or compulsory liquidation; (c) have a receiver appointed; or (d) fail to perform any of your obligations under these Terms and Conditions within 28 days of our giving you notice to comply. In the event of termination, all rights granted will immediately revert to us and any further exploitation of any Image shall constitute an infringement of copyright.
18) Any publication right (as defined in the Copyright and Related Rights Regulations 1996) arising from your use of any Image shall vest in us and you hereby assign all such rights arising to us.
19) Our failure to exercise or enforce any of our rights will not be deemed to be a waiver of such rights nor bar their exercise or enforcement in future.
20) Should any disagreement arise between us, we shall, if we both agree, first try to settle it by a mediation procedure recommended by the BPLC.
21) These Terms and Conditions shall be governed by the laws of England and Wales and the parties agree to submit the jurisdiction of the English courts, such jurisdiction to be exclusive, save for infringement of copyright or non payment of our invoices where it will be non-exclusive.
© Copyright 2001 British Photographers’ Liaison Committee/Finers Stephens Innocent As agreed by BAPLA, AOP, NUJ, MPA and the BFP.